Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY: Aromatic Fall Home / Happy October!



This is kind of ridiculously simple, so I'm not sure it qualifies as a DIY... but it's a quick and inexpensive tip to make your home smell like autumn amazing-ness. Since it's officially October, I think the timing is perfect for some fall aroma around the house.

I was at the grocery store the other day and came across packages of mulling spices and cinnamon sticks, which reminded me of this easy method of home aromatherapy. I learned this trick from one of my college roommates...




WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

  • Mulling spices (alternately, you could use whole cloves, whole nutmeg, etc.)
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • A pot of boiling water

This looks like some sort of witch's brew! I promise there are no eyeballs in there :) 

STEPS:

  1. Boil a pot of water on the stove. 
  2. Add about a tablespoon of mulling spices and half a cinnamon stick. Reduce the heat to medium so that the liquid is no longer boiling rapidly, but still simmering.
  3. After a few minutes, the smell of cinnamon, cloves, and other autumn awesome-ness will begin to fill your home! Seriously, people will think you're baking apple pies or making cider.
  4. If you plan to leave the pot going awhile, just make sure you check it periodically to add more water. If the pot runs out of water, you will be left with a burned mess of mulling spices that has ruined your pot, as well as the extremely unpleasant odor of burnt mulling spices throughout your house. Trust me. I know from experience. 
Hope you enjoyed this quick tip! I love doing this because it's super inexpensive (you can find the spices for under $5, and you can do this several times with one package) and the aroma is more authentic than scented candles or Febreze.  

Happy October!
-Megan

2 comments: